So, my internship is just coming to an end. I've spent the past few months working full time as an intern with Women's Wear Daily. I loved every minute of it, and I learned so much. I've completed other internships before, but this one far surpassed any and all expectations of what I had previously though an internship was or could be.
During my internship I worked with the Senior Accessories editor, who I now have so much respect for and was taught so much from. With the Accessories team I had the opportunity to participate in several photo shoots and worked to complete the Fall 2010 Ultimate Accessories Guide, which will soon be released (within the next week).
Beyond this overall major project that I assisted with, I also had so many amazing little experiences within the job along the way. I had the pleasure and honor of meeting Betsey Johnson (whom I have always admired and respected for her lasting endurance within the industry, as well as her energy and spunk). She was everything that I dreamed she might be - and more! She was fun, sweet, charming and highly entertaining. I had the opportunity to tag along with the photographer whom I had been working with for a small photo shoot to go along with an interview for WWD. Not only was Betsey a pleasure and a thrill to meet, but her studio was such a feast for the eyes - with rack upon rack of apparel from her most recent collection, and the fact that her design board sat out in the open to see thrilled me beyond delight!
Aside from Betsey Johnson, I also was able to meet one other celebrity, yet at this point - as the Accessories Guide has not yet been released and this celeb is feature in the 2010 Accessories Guide - I will not yet release the information of just who this was)! However, I will say that I was thrilled to meet her, and that she was more down to earth than I ever would have thought possible. She was a blast to work with and had such an incredibly positive attitude that it's no wonder her career is taking off. Who wouldn't want to work with such a charming young woman? (More on this AFTER the release of the Fall 2010 Accessories Guide).
So onto the many lessons learned. Here are a few of the big ones:
1. You want the photographer to be your friend (as a stylist). You want them to work WITH you to achieve the desired look, not against you. This appears to be key to the success of any photo shoot no matter how big or small.
2. A shoot can be stressful. There are often many different personalities coming together and it can be a challenge to keep everyone happy. Deep breaths are key and not allowing yourself to get caught up in the drama is what I found to be best in such situations - though this is not
3. Expect long hours. You may not have to be up super early, but you'll certainly want to expect to stay late at least a few nights a week. But hell - what job doesn't require a few late nights?
4. Any additional work is key. Any and all experience is helpful!
5. Love your work! It may be tough at times, but if you can find the joy and beauty in your job it builds all the more motivation within you!
Alright, so... enough of that. Let it suffice to say that I've learned a lot, and that I'm quite sure that I have a lot more to learn in order to really make it within my field.
On that note, I'm going to eat some dinner, recover from my Pilates class (a wonderful and welcome new addition to my Sunday routine). I will report more on the wonders and excitement of my internship over the course of the next few weeks, up until I must return to school in Boston and commence my normal college student life.... (sigh).